Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dry Canyon hike or... encounter with a boa


Friday evening Jonathan and I walked up the Dry Canyon trail which starts above River Heights. We were there to test out Jon's new head lamp. The weather was wonderful and cooled off perfectly! Just as it was getting dark enough to use the head lamp I noticed a very smooth stick on the trail. Unwilling to pass by until I knew that it was truly a stick, Jonathan kindly nudged the stick with his shoe causing it to reveal its true identity as a snake. The snake had no desire to move and merely turned its head so it didn't have to smell Jonathan's shoe (see picture.) This is the first snake that I've ever seen in Utah. It's proof that they do live here. The only other wildlife seen on this hike was a large "woof" spider.

No comments: