Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pictures from my South Dakota Trip


I didn't have a blog when I went to Sioux Falls, SD for work. So I thought I'd share a few pictures from the trip from February of this year. A co-worker and I took a day trip to the Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument. We also accidentally drove through Custer State Park. The trip was our reward on Monday for having to work on Sunday for the Air National Guard. I loved Mount Rushmore! It was a very special place with a cool hike and surrounding scenery.


The Crazy Horse monument was also a neat destination. It's 13 miles from Mount Rushmore. It will be three times as big as Mount Rushmore when it is complete. I donated a dollar, so I got a rock. Mount Rushmore has tons of sparkly rocks lying around, but you can't take any from there. I was glad I could have a Crazy Horse rock.


All of the good restaurants in Sioux Falls were on Phillips Ave. :) The Russian restaurant was the best. We drove around one evening and saw the actual Sioux Falls. They are in a park that has a trolley next to it. You can see St. Joseph's Cathedral in the distance.


It was 40 degrees below zero when I took this picture near the falls. Weather that cold does not feel much colder than zero degree weather. Your fingers just freeze almost instantly instead of after five minutes. With that knowledge you are now prepared to visit South Dakota in February.
P.S. There is no need to stop at the Corn Palace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would love to see Mt. Rushmore. How fun even if it was cold. I would take the cold after leaving in the heat for five years. What is snow? Can anyone remind me?