Saturday, May 29, 2010

What Opera?

My friend Clara invited me and several other of her friends to an opera to which her mother had received free tickets. The funny thing was that I couldn't find an ad for the opera anywhere and Clara didn't know much about it either. Jonathan graciously offered to stay home with Autumn. Friday night came and Clara and one of her friends, Gail, came to pick me up for the opera. As we drove to the Ellen Eccles Theater where they commonly have operas, Clara handed me the flier and I began reading it to everyone.
"Come help us make a commercial...
for the Utah Festival Opera...
wear your best ..."

Everyone in the car gasped.

At the theater we met up with Clara's other friend Tiffany. We convened a quick powwow in the doorway, which inconvenienced several patrons but helped us plan our next move. Should we stay for two hours to help film the commercial, or do as Clara suggested and go catch a movie. Tiffany and I prevailed that we should stay. It would probably be fun anyway.

So Clara, Tiffany, Gail, and I got to play opera patrons in a commercial featuring Michael Ballam's daughter. There were a lot of bright lights, time being perfectly still and quiet, and time spent staring at the stage. Between scene changes Michael Ballam and another opera star sang to us.

The opera ads will air on Comcast on the Wasatch Front. The cool thing is that I am three seats away from the main actors who are in the audience saying their lines. If you can see anyone from our group in the ads, it's probably me. What a fun and unexpected evening!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Excellent story.

Bethany said...

My twin sister is famous!