Thursday, September 16, 2010
Just the facts
I learned a little bit more about catface spiders today. Catface spiders are seen in the fall. The females get very large before they lay their eggs and die. The one in our yard made a very large orb web from the side of the house and out into the grass. Catface spiders are not poisonous. The one in our yard died yesterday while I was away, but I hope we see more next year. They are preditors of hobo spiders and they compete with hobo spiders for food. If you have a catface spider, you'll have less hobo spiders. According to Washington State University's Etomology page, "Cat face spiders and other members of the Family Araeniidae are extremely beneficial natural enemies of many garden insects up to large insects when the spiders are mature." I just hope they eat grasshoppers too.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment